FAQ: Retirement > Probate > Retiree

Retirement > Probate > Retiree > Divorce Information

27. I am retired and in “pay status” and need to have alimony deducted from my pension. Can I call the Retirement Payroll Unit and initiate the process?

First, the moment that you believe a divorce or legal separation is possible, you and your legal representative should review the section of this website dealing with divorce. The Retirement Payroll Unit must have a court order to initiate an alimony deduction from your benefit. SERS and PJERS are not subject to the federally mandated QDRO requirement: state statutes provide for the establishment of a Plan Approved Domestic Relations Order (PADRO). The Retirement Services Division has developed guidelines that provide instructions on the requirements for such an order. Click here to access the SERS PADRO information. PJERS PADRO information is not available yet.