FAQ: Retirement > Probate > Retiree

Retirement > Probate > Retiree > Change of Payment Option or Survivor Benefits

19. May I change my benefit payment option if my spouse dies or if we divorce?

No, if you are retired, you may not change your selected option once you have cashed or deposited any retirement benefit even in the event of death or divorce unless you chose the 10 year or 20 year option benefit and your designated contingent annuitant has died. In this case you may name a new contingent annuitant. Under this circumstance you should contact the Retirement Payroll Unit as a certified copy of the death certificate for the deceased annuitant as well as a new income payment election form will be required in order to make such a change.