FAQ: Retirement > MERS > Member

Retirement > MERS > Member > Divorce Information

5. I have been served with divorce papers and I think my spouse wants to have a part of my pension benefit. What do I need to do?

First, the moment that you believe a divorce or legal separation is possible, you and your legal representative should review the section of this website dealing with divorce specifically the section dealing with domestic relation order guidelines. There are many considerations involved with regard to a division of pension benefits and CMERS must have a court order in order to divide the pension benefit. CMERS is not subject to the federally mandated QDRO requirement: state statutes provide for the establishment of a Plan Approved Domestic Relations order (PADRO). CMERS has developed a guidance paper that provides instructions on the requirements for such an order.