FAQ: Retirement > SERS

Retirement > SERS > Medical/Dental

9. I am turning 65 soon. What happens to my medical/dental Insurance?

  1. If you are currently retired, the State will send you a letter to advise you on how to proceed with Medicare enrollment. You, along with any dependents who are eligible for Medicare, will be enrolled in the State’s Medicare Advantage program administered by Aetna. Dependents who are ineligible for Medicare will continue to be covered by the State’s commercial retiree health plan administered by Anthem. There is no change to dental insurance.
  2. Active employees and their dependents remain enrolled in the active employee health plan. You may enroll in Medicare A, but you are not required to do so.