FAQ: Retirement > MERS > Retiree

Retirement > MERS > Retiree > Divorce Information

37. I am retired and in “pay status” and need to have alimony deducted from my pension. Can I call CMERS and initiate the process?

First, the moment that you believe a divorce or legal separation is possible, you and your legal representative should review the section of this website dealing with divorce. CMERS must have a court order in order to initiate an alimony deduction from your benefit. CMERS is not subject to the federally mandated QDRO requirement: state statutes provide for the establishment of a Plan Approved Domestic Relations order (PADRO). CMERS has developed guidelines that provide instructions on the requirements for such an order.