FAQ: Retirement > Probate > Retiree

Retirement > Probate > Retiree > Federal & State Income Tax Withholding

6. For my federal taxes, I requested a specific dollar amount to be withheld from my pension check every month. Now I see that it has changed. Why?

Under current Federal withholding regulations, you may no longer designate a specific dollar amount to be withheld from your pension benefit. It now requires that your monthly withholding amount be based on the tax table according to 1) your marital status and 2) the number of withholding allowances you claim.

Since your federal taxes are based on a table, your withholding amount may change whenever 1) your benefit amount changes or 2) the federal tax tables change.

You may request to change the amount of federal or state taxes withheld from your benefit amount at any time by submitting a new Form W-4P or Form CT-W4P.