FAQ: Retirement > SERS

Retirement > SERS > Pension

24. How do I purchase prior service, unpaid leaves, military service, etc.?

You may request a purchase of retirement credit on the appropriate form provided by your employing agency’s personnel or payroll office. After submission of the completed request form with all required documentation to the Retirement Services Division, you will either be sent an invoice to complete the purchase or a letter explaining why you do not qualify. Invoices provide any payment options available; in some cases, payroll deductions are permitted. Requesting a purchase does not obligate you to pay the invoice. However, no credit is allowed for any purchase unless all contributions and interest are paid in full within the time frames prescribed.  Detailed information about purchase opportunities is available on your plan’s Summary Plan Description.